Tuesday 17 November 2015

The Good Stuff :
Yeah...you do have to hunt around a bit for it some days...but that's what we do when we're 82 Not Out!  and even deep down almost buried under the Third World War on Terrorism...and the horrific sudden tragedy of the S.A. bush fires a glimmer of reflection on todays news brings an unexpected find to this blogger.

Let me explain: In the Bad News  I read that the rugby world is in mourning following the tragic death of All Blacks legend Jonah Lomu. Now my ties with Aotearoa and my Maori affiliations are massive ...I watched Jonah often on screen and whilst whispering a karakia (prayer) in my own fashion for the star's wife and  whanau...I was also  led into another reflective dimension. 
Read on you'll find this interesting -

This strand took me back to 1984 and to Four Seasons Professional Theatre in Wanganui (now  Whanganui) where I was fortunate to direct  Bruce Mason's  play Awatea with a large (very large) cast headed by the late David Smiles in the lead role. Maori actors young  and old contributed to the success of a rarely staged N.Z classic.   (keep reading...you'll be surprised....)

Among the cast was a handsome young actor Grant Kereama playing Matiu Paku.
It was at the theatre in 1984 that he met another F.S.actress  Pauline Gillespie who became his .future wife.Both went on to lead successful careers in N.Z. radio and in television as presenters. Many years later it was Grant that became a kidney donor for. Jonah Lomu.
Grant and Polly if you ever get to read this 82 Not Out! blogger know that you are still in my heart...how could you not be after watching your amazing theatre romance and the wonderful gift Grant made to another amazing Kiwi.

I've got heaps more to blog this week...Macular ? eye test tomorrow and some WTF is this stuff for older readers  having trouble keeping up with the play...it  will include my latest misadventure and how I nearly got (...actually deserved to get) my first ever driving ticket... blessings to you all  82 Not Out!

No comments:

Post a Comment